FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 10, 2021
Contact: Ron Leix, Treasury, 517-335-2167
Veterans Day is November 11
LANSING, Mich. – As Veterans Day approaches on Nov. 11, the state of Michigan extends its gratitude to current and former military members by reminding them of the special benefits they may be entitled to receive through the Michigan Department of Treasury.
"On Veterans Day, we honor the service and sacrifice of those who have stepped up for our country in uniform," Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said. "To ensure our service members and veterans have the resources they need to succeed, the State of Michigan provides scholarships and tax assistance to both current and former military members as a token of appreciation for their service. I want to thank those who are serving, have served, and will serve, and I encourage them to explore the benefits and relief we provide."
Current and former military members may be eligible to receive:
- Military Pay Tax Exemption. Military pay is exempt from Michigan tax, including military retirement benefits and exit and separation pay.
- Children of Veterans Tuition Grant. This program provides undergraduate tuition assistance to the children of Michigan veterans who were totally and permanently disabled, missing in action or died while serving. Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years for a total of up to $11,200.
- Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption. A property tax exemption for real property used and owned as a homestead as outlined in state law.
- Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) for Active Duty Military Personnel. Property owners can retain a PRE while on active duty if their property is rented or leased.
- Property Tax Relief during Active Military Service. Property owned by a serviceperson cannot be sold to pay delinquent property taxes during a tour of active duty.
- Summer Property Tax Deferment. A serviceperson, veteran or widow or widower whose income outside of military compensation is no more than $7,500 per year may be eligible for a summer property tax deferment.
- Federal Military Spouses Residency Relief Act. The spouse of an individual in the military may not be subject to the state's taxation if they are a nonresident of the state, the service member is present in the state due to military orders, the spouse is solely in the state to accompany the service member, and the spouse maintains a domicile in another state. This act was amended in December 2018 to alternately allow military spouses to elect the same state of domicile as their service member spouse, even if they are not present in that state.
"The Michigan Department of Treasury will work closely with our military members past and present to ensure they get the tax benefits and other resources they deserve," State Treasurer Rachael Eubanks said. "If you have questions about any of these benefits, please contact us so we can talk about your options."
Individuals with questions about tax relief and other benefits for current and past military members should go to Michigan.gov/Treasury and click on "Contact Us." Program-specific phone numbers can be found on the "Contact Us" webpage.
The state Treasury Department has erected a Veterans Day exhibit dedicated to Michigan's Women Veterans in the lobby of the Austin Building, 430 W. Allegan St., in Lansing. Members of the public may visit this Veterans Day tribute from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday through November.
# # #
This email was sent to email@example.com using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Michigan Department of Treasury · Lansing, MI 48922 · 517-373-3200
Website Hot Links
- 4 Heroes Military Keepsakes
- AM Leather
- American Motorcyclist Association
- Charity Watch
- District 4 Calendar of Events
- District 4 Website
- Homeless Veterans Support
- Michigan Bikers Helping Veterans
- Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency
- Michigan War Dog Memorial
- MOV Newsletters
- Patriot Guard Riders Michigan
- Posts Roster
- Riders Email
- Riders Facebook Group Page
- U.S. Interagency Council on Homeless
- VA eBenefits
- VA Hospital Ann Arbor
- VA Hospital Detroit
- VA Records
- Veterans Crisis Line
- VFW at a Glance
- VFW Camp Trotter
- VFW Magazine
- VFW Michigan Dept Website
- VFW National Home
- VFW National Website
- VFW Store
- VFW Store - Riders